24th – 30th May 2015
This has been a very quiet week for me, however no week goes by without something of interest for me to share. So as suggested above, this week has been no different.
I was contacted by a family who had an unfortunate accident with their laptop, a child’s drink had been spilled and entered the laptop via the USB / SATA ports. The client was advised not to turn on the laptop after contacting me, and to allow it to dry naturally. A few days later i was contacted again for the repair. After opening up the laptop i came across the damage shown in the pictures below.
Please note the white corrosion on the components, the fruit drink spilled was acid and in a short space of time had corroded the legs on the chip in the bottom picture. However quick intervention and a good thorough clean with a soft brush and Isopropyl alcohol at 99.9% pure was able to save the laptop and prevent further damage.